Telford College is a further education college in Telford, Shropshire, England with a wealth of history that dates back to 1800s.
The college was founded in 1892 by Charles Walker as the Centre for Art and Science Classes and was originally based in Oakengates, Shropshire according to local history.
History suggests classes first met in the Assembly Rooms, Oakengates, In January 1882, with an enrolment of 222. This was the cradle of the industrial revolution, which was seven years before any comparable development elsewhere in the country. In 1900 rooms at the Coffee Palace were leased to improve facilities.
In 1911 Mr Darlington was appointed headmaster at Oakengates, he began a re-organisation of syllabuses and teaching methods and the college owes much to his vigour and optimism.
From 1913 until the Second World War it was based in recreation centre in Market Street which was since demolished by the New Town Corporation.
The college moved to a new site, built in 1926, on Hartsbridge Road becoming the Walker Technical College. In the 1960s it opened a larger campus on Haybridge Road in Wellington which became the part of new town of Telford.
Create a job alert and be notified as soon as we have any roles that match your skills.