How can Amazon improve the advertising experience for customers around the world? How can we help advertisers find their customers? Amazon Ads creates and transforms the connection between retailers/service providers and customers. Join the Insights & Performance Team to contribute to science solutions that allow us to solve this through technology, scale and automation. If you are passionate about developing analytical solutions to solve business problems, and are looking for a team that drives results to help influence Amazon business decisions, this is the right place for you.
Key job responsibilities
This role requires outstanding technical skills, a deep understanding of machine learning approaches, and a passion for melding ML with great user experience/design. You will oversee all aspects of the software lifecycle; design, experimentation, implementation, and testing. You will dive deep when needed, move rapidly with a bias for action, and get things done. You'll have an autonomous entrepreneurial spirit, and long for the opportunity to build pioneering solutions to challenging problems. This role will demand resourcefulness and willingness to learn on both the technical and business side. The challenges we take on marry a mix of large-scale distributed systems, big data technologies, machine learning science, and a keen sense of customer obsession and long-term strategic thinking.
Our ideal candidate is a leading scientist or engineer who can see the bigger picture. While your career is full of individual wins, it is now more fulfilling when your team is able to build, deliver, and impress. You enjoy leading and mentoring others, and want to work on projects that require innovative and creative thinking alongside deep technical problem solving. You challenge yourself and others to constantly come up with better solutions, and can deliver on a technical roadmap that serves our customers and the business optimally. You communicate clearly, and hold yourself and your team to a high bar.
As an Applied Science Manager, you will be responsible for ensuring your team successfully delivers on design, development, testing, and experimentation on the algorithms, datasets, and systems your team owns. You should have an established track record of launching customer-facing experiences, deep technical ability, and excellent project management and communication skills. This role requires working closely with product management to define strategy and requirements, and leading a development team from design through delivery and subsequent operation.
About the team
Our team seeks seeks an Applied Science Manager to join the Cross-Product Performance engineering and product teams in Edinburgh where we make Reporting and Recommendations products that fuel our customer's advertising campaign performance.
• Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
• Experience directly managing scientists and/or machine learning engineers
• Master's degree with applied research experience
• Experience of building machine learning models for business application
• PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related technical field; or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• A proven track record of hiring and developing software engineers or machine learning scientists.
• A strong sense of curiosity and willingness to learn quickly, building knowledge and skills that this role requires.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Deep technical expertise in cloud-based distributed software design and development, especially utilizing AWS services.
- Amazon Web Services
- Applied Research
- Applied Science
- Big Data
- Building Codes