Blackstone Recruitment are currently working with an NHS Trust who are recruiting for a Specialist Clinical Psychologist for a ongoing locum contract. This is to work a mixture of remote and face-to-face work.
To provide a clinical psychology service to clients of the Community Learning Disability service, providing specialist psychological assessment and therapy, advice and consultation on clients’ psychological care to non-psychologist colleagues and to other, non professional carers, working autonomously within professional guidelines and the overall framework of the trust and team policies and procedures. To utilize research skills for audit, policy and service development and research within the area serve by the team/service.
1. To provide highly specialist psychological assessments of clients referred to the team for both eligibility, and assessment and treatment. The psychologist will be expected to deliver services based upon the appropriate use, interpretation and integration of complex data from a variety of sources including psychological and neuropsychological tests, self-report measures, rating scales, direct and indirect structured observations and semi-structured interviews with clients, family members and others involved in the client’s care.
2. To formulate and implement plans for the formal psychological treatment and/or
management of a client’s psychological, mental health or behavioural problems, including autistic spectrum disorders, based upon an appropriate conceptual framework of the client’s problems, and employing methods based upon evidence of efficacy, across the full range of care settings.
3. To be responsible for implementing a range of psychological interventions for individuals, carers, families and groups, within and across teams employed individually and in synthesis, adjusting and refining psychological formulations drawing upon different explanatory models and maintaining a number of provisional hypotheses.
4. To evaluate and make decisions about treatment options taking into account both theoretical and therapeutic models and highly complex factors concerning historical and developmental processes that have shaped the individual, family or group.
5. To exercise autonomous professional responsibility for the assessment, treatment and discharge of clients whose problems are managed by psychologically based standard care plans.
6. To provide highly specialist psychological advice guidance and consultation to other
Professionals, contributing directly to clients’ formulation, diagnosis and treatment plan.
7. To contribute directly and indirectly to a psychologically based framework of understanding and care to the benefit of all clients of the service, across all settings and agencies serving the client group.
8.To undertake risk assessment and risk management for individual clients and to provide advice to other professions on psychological aspects of risk assessment and risk management.
9. To act as care coordinator, where appropriate, taking responsibility for initiating, planning and review of care plans under enhanced CPA including clients, their carers, referring agents and others involved the network of care.
10. To communicate in a skilled and sensitive manner, information concerning the
assessment, formulation and treatment plans of clients under their care and to monitor
progress during the course of both uni- and multi-disciplinary care.
Teaching, training, and supervision
1. To receive regular clinical professional supervision from a senior clinical psychologist and, where appropriate, other senior professional colleagues.
2. To gain additional specialist experience and skills relevant to clinical psychology
and/or the service as agreed with the professional psychology manager.
3. To develop skills in the area of professional post-graduate teaching, training and
supervision where appropriate, and to provide supervision to other MDT staff’s psychological work as appropriate.
4. To provide professional and clinical supervision of trainee and assistant clinical
5. To contribute to the pre- and post-qualification teaching of clinical and/or counselling
psychology, as appropriate.
6. To provide advice, consultation and training to staff working with the client group across a
range of agencies and settings, where appropriate.
Management, recruitment, policy and service development
1. To contribute to the development, evaluation and monitoring of the team’s operational
policies and services, through the deployment of professional skills in research, service
evaluation and audit.
2. To advise both service and professional management on those aspects of the service
where psychological and/or organisational matters need addressing.
Doctoral level training in clinical psychology, including specifically models of psychopathology, clinical psychometrics and neuropsychology, two or more distinct psychological therapies and lifespan developmental psychology, as accredited by the BPS.
Experience of specialist psychological assessment and treatment of clients across the full range of care settings,including outpatient, community, primary care and in patient settings.
Experience of working with a wide variety of client groups, across the whole life course presenting problems that reflect the full range of clinical severity including maintaining a high degree of professionalism in the face of highly emotive and distressing problems, verbal abuse and the threat of physical abuse.
Demonstrate further specialist training/experience through having received a minimum of 50 hours clinical supervision of working as a specialist clinical psychologist over a minimum of 2 years, or an alternative agreed by the Consultant Clinical Psychologist.
Experience of working in Learning Disability services, across a range of abilities, including service users presenting with mental health problems, autistic spectrum disorders, and other challenging behaviours.
They are also looking for someone with ASD experience to undertake autism assessments. They should be proficient in completing the ADIR & ADOS.
Please APPLY now if you are available for this role or contact Kirsty at Blackstone Recruitment