Element has an opportunity for a Coatings Technical Lead to join our growing team in Edinburgh. This role is a key function in servicing our coatings clients with daily responsibility to conduct testing operations and give clear technical guidance as necessary across a wide range of the laboratory’s testing capabilities.
In this role you will plan projects, conduct assessments and compile reports ensuring on-time delivery to our clients. In addition to this you will also guide the technical staff in timely completion of daily work and may be designated as the main contact for customer on-site visits.
Please note that although we are pausing our hiring activity due to the Covid 19 outbreak, we continue to conduct video and phone interviews to be prepared for a quick return to hiring in the near future.
Skills / Qualifications
- Under the direction of the Department Manager and Operations Manager, assist in the efficient operation and growth of our Coatings department
- Conduct technical assessments in the laboratory for a variety of projects and compile technical reports
- Ensure customer satisfaction through daily interaction with technicians and execution of operational jobs including direct supervision of lab technical colleagues
- Provide professional and timely customer service to both internal and external customers
- Work with department supervisors, technical experts, or technicians on a local and global level to obtain input and assist in the creation for testing scope, delivery of items needed from other support departments within the location
- Assist in providing quotations in conjunction with local and global sales team as required
- Manage initiatives for the department set forth and in conjunction with location and safety strategy
- Adhere to, support and follow all Element safety guidelines and be a key member of the department's safety team and provides awareness around safety first
- A bachelor’s degree in a technical field or college level courses completed and experience in an industry similar or related to the Testing, Inspection and Certification (TIC) industry
- Experience in a coatings / polymers / materials technical development and / or testing role is preferred
- Ability to communicate and demonstrate the importance of meeting all applicable requirements of the coatings department is advantageous
- Working knowledge of laboratory safety
- Ability to work primarily alone, under own initiative and make independent decisions during the course of the work day
- Working knowledge of coatings related national and international standards.
- Proven ability to understand and interpret test requirements and have ability to analyse and translate into finished testing or report data
- Excellent communication skills and IT literacy
- Proven and recognised ability to provide accurate and timely status reports to internal and external customers
- Ability to track multiple testing jobs / programs from start to finish and assist with contract review of job status daily, including follow-up emails and phone calls daily to and from internal and external customers
- Proven ability to work and communicate as part of a global team
We are Element, one of the fastest growing testing, inspection, certification and calibration businesses in the world.
We deliver critical services in Materials Testing, Product Qualification Testing, Certification, Device Calibration and Advisory Services to the Aerospace, Oil and Gas, Transportation, Industrials, Fire and Building product, Infrastructure and other leading sectors, where failure in service is simply not an option.
Everything we do helps our customers to build better products; get their products to market on time; save them time and money; and minimize the risk associated with product development and production.
Our mission is simple: to be the best testing partner in the world and together we strive towards a common vision of becoming the world’s most trusted testing partner.
We have four values that we strive to live by every single day.
- Safety - We keep our colleagues and visitors safe
- Integrity - We act honestly and fairly to do the right thing
- Excellence - We set new standards of excellence in everything we do
- Partnership - We work together for the benefit of our customers
When combined with our mission and vision, the ethos this creates, enables Element to deliver one thing. CERTAINTY. We exist to help make certain that the materials and products we test, inspect, certify and calibrate for our customers are safe, quality, compliant and fit for purpose.
At Element, we always take pride in putting our people first. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our Vision of becoming “the world’s most trusted testing partner”.
All suitably qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective work related criteria and without regard for the following: race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, and/or protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the applicable governing laws.