Element has an opportunity for a Department Manager. In this role you will be a member of the operational leadership team reporting to the Operations Manager or General Manager and perform a variety of leadership responsibilities within the department to ensure timely and accurate test results are delivered.
Our Warwick facility is the largest Environmental Testing in the UK (vibration, climatic, shock, sand and dust etc), making us the ideal choice of testing partner for the aerospace, military, transportation, energy and industrial manufacturers who need to ensure their product is compliant with either industry-specific standards of in-service condition.
Please note that although we are pausing our hiring activity due to the Covid 19, we continue to conduct video and phone interviews to be prepared for a quick return to hiring in the near future.
Skills / Qualifications
- Under the direction of the Operations Manager and / or General Manager, helps lead the efficient operation and growth of the assigned department
- Plan, assign and schedule work for designated teams
- Assists in the engineering and coordination of projects from start to finish
- Responsible for the department's safety performance and awareness; spearheads and manages initiatives that drive a culture of safety first
- Works to assure quality, timeliness, consistency and accuracy of test reports
- Demonstrate knowledge of Element capabilities, processes and expertise to be able to clearly explain the benefits of Element testing services
- Responsible for promoting and ensuring the Element quality assurance and safety program initiatives are executed upon
- Responsible and accountable to assigned staff decisions to include hiring, performance management, performance review decisions and execution, and approval of overtime and time cards
- Work with assigned teams to ensure work schedules are maintained and balanced
- Provide general administrative functions as required (invoicing, job list upkeep, supply report data for creation)
- Review testing services and promote additional capacity and process improvement
- Translate technical requirements of the client into providing pricing, timing and technical knowledge for quoting and commercial efforts
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a four year college or university and / or significant experience in a leadership role
- Working knowledge of laboratory safety with extensive knowledge of the current suite of testing capabilities
- Ability to read and interpret test specifications, drawings, test plans and/or blueprints
- Strong computer skills with basic mathematical skills with the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry a plus
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. on occasion and stand on feet for long periods of time
- Technical leadership is vital to the production and operation of assigned tests with advanced working knowledge to operate various testing equipment
- Ability to communicate (written and oral) effectively with clients and colleagues with great attention to detail and timing of results
- Proven ability to multi task and work under strict time lines
- Organizational, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills to effectively establish and maintain two-way communications to understand the needs and concerns
- Understanding of continuous improvement disciplines such as Six Sigma, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, 5S, etc. preferred
We are Element, one of the fastest growing testing, inspection, certification and calibration businesses in the world.
We deliver critical services in Materials Testing, Product Qualification Testing, Certification, Device Calibration and Advisory Services to the Aerospace, Oil and Gas, Transportation, Industrials, Fire and Building product, Infrastructure and other leading sectors, where failure in service is simply not an option.
Everything we do helps our customers to build better products; get their products to market on time; save them time and money; and minimize the risk associated with product development and production.
Our mission is simple: to be the best testing partner in the world and together we strive towards a common vision of becoming the world’s most trusted testing partner.
We have four values that we strive to live by every single day.
- Safety - We keep our colleagues and visitors safe
- Integrity - We act honestly and fairly to do the right thing
- Excellence - We set new standards of excellence in everything we do
- Partnership - We work together for the benefit of our customers
When combined with our mission and vision, the ethos this creates, enables Element to deliver one thing. CERTAINTY. We exist to help make certain that the materials and products we test, inspect, certify and calibrate for our customers are safe, quality, compliant and fit for purpose.
At Element, we always take pride in putting our people first. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our Vision of becoming “the world’s most trusted testing partner”.
All suitably qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective work related criteria and without regard for the following: race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, and/or protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the applicable governing laws.