Deputy Care Manager, Malvern area, Worcestershire
Salary: circa £25k - £35k per annum (depending on experience)
37.5 hours per week (Hours worked can be flexible) - part supernumerary part on floor
Potential to fast track to Management role
Experts2care are working with a family owned Care Home group, passionate about delivering the highest standards of person centred care. They operate high quality residential, dementia and nursing care homes across the Midlands. They are seeking a Deputy Care Manager for one home which is situated in a stunning village in the Herefordshire countryside on the outskirts of Malvern. It is a small residential home with high quality accommodation and exceptional care provided by fully qualified and skilled nurses and carers. This home offers residential care, specialist dementia care, respite and day care and couples care in a comfortable, warm and welcoming environment.with a traditional country house feel, set in over 2 acres of landscaped gardens, with stunning views of the Malvern Hills. It truly is a one of a kind home, and offers a wonderfully fun and fantastic working environment.The role would suit an experienced Deputy Manager OR a Senior Carer OR Unit Lead who has a passion for care. As Deputy Care Manager you will provide proactive support to the Home Manager across all aspects of Home Management, providing a safe, caring, stimulating and homely environment for residents and their visitors. This is a super role with the added attraction of there being the opportunity to become Home Manager within 3-6 months for the right candidate.
Main Duties for Deputy Care Manager:
To support the Registered Manager in all aspects of running the home i.e. administration, medication administration and ordering, on call and hands on care support, including taking temporary responsibility for the home during the Reg. Manager’s absence. To supervise and train members of staff in all aspects of their work within the home.
- Be aware of the home’s policy and procedures for Prevention and Control of Infection and the homes policy for Abuse and Safeguarding vulnerable adults.
- To help to ensure that all care and domestic staff contribute to the best of their ability to the efficient running of the home and the creation of the right atmosphere according to the home’s ethos.
- Prepare a work plan for the day to direct and organise the staff in all aspects of their duties. Review and check that everything has been done.
- Preparation and maintenance of records of the resident’s care plans, risk assessments, medication and records.
- Keep up to date with Health and Safety policies and procedures and to follow the instructions and guidance outlined and to report any unsafe equipment or working practices or anything else which could potentially cause an accident.
- Ability to set a good example by arriving at work in good time to receive a ‘hand-over’ report and to read the day/night liaison books.
- Liaise with supporting bodies regarding resident’s care and record and report to Registered Manager and Proprietor.
- When assessed and agreed as competent, to be responsible for administration, recording and safe keeping of medication.
- Responsible for ordering medication for the home and organising medication returns. Responsible for medication auditing and record keeping.
- To accompany residents on appointments to Surgery, Hospital, Day Care Centres etc. if required.
- Order and oversee Hearing Aid battery requirements for residents. Ensure supply of stock. Ensure hearing aids are working correctly and organise repair when required. Liaise with District Nurse regarding ear checks for wax build-up.
- Promote mobility and incontinence issued and deal with any difficulties including incontinence care changes and pad assessments. Liaise with District Nurse regarding pad assessment requirements.
- To be aware of Pressure Care needs within the home and ensure pressure relief equipment is in place if required. Liaise with District Nurse for pressure care equipment needs and stores regarding equipment supply.
- To regularly record resident’s weight for care plans. Be aware of nutritional changes and requirements. Assess Waterlow risk and compile Waterlow chart – Review monthly or when illness, immobility or nutritional changes occur.
- Ensure residents skin is assessed via the District Nurse on admittance to the home and when changes to the skin occurs and ensure creams are applied correctly.
- To keep up to date with aids used by residents, keep aids clean and ensure aids are fit for the purpose for which they may be used.
- Ensure that call bells are answered quickly, that all visitors are greeted politely and made to feel welcome, to answer the telephone properly and train other staff when and how to answer the telephone. Ensure that all messages are passed on with the correct degree of urgency.
- To assist residents who need help with dressing, undressing, cleansing (washing, showering, bathing) and toilet needs.
- Help in the promotion of mental and physical activities of residents by talking to them and sharing with them in activities and accompanying them on trips.
- Attend and take part in staff meetings, appraisals, supervisions, training sessions and courses, external and in-house, conferences, seminars or study days at other venues.
- Conduct or be part of staff supervisions, record and action requirements.
- Train staff in Induction and Basic in-house statutory training requirements. Be the responsible person for Moving & Handling and Hoist instruction. Deliver addition training and general duties training to staff.
- Provide staff with instruction and training regarding household duties such as bed making, laundry etc.
- Inspect clothing for washing or mending and ensure that they are laundered correctly. Understand and instruct staff in the care and use of the laundry equipment and the washing, drying and storage of clothes and linen.
- Oversee general household standards for cleanliness and tidiness are met by staff.
- Make and change beds, tidy rooms and ensure that the rooms are kept clean.
- Be prepared to cook light meals at breakfast or supper time or arrange for this to be done, help serve meals, assist the residents during mealtimes, do some washing up and use, clean and train other staff in the use and care of the dishwasher and waste disposal system.
- To instruct staff and ensure Infection Control procedures are being adhered to.
- To be security conscious at all times, and especially vigilant in the evenings to ensure the safety of the residents and the night staff. Follow and train other staff to follow the locking up procedure, the switching off of some lights and keeping on of essential lights.
- To assist with completing detailed monthly audits in relation to the home.
Main requirements for Deputy Care Manager:
Sustained relevant experience in residential care at a senior level with the elderly and those with dementia.
NVQ 3 or 4 qualification desirable or equivalent.
Be forward thinking and up to date with current practices and have a desire to maintain excellent clinical and industry knowledge.
Ability to confidently and calmly guide, organise and train staff members. Also receive training.
Ability to communicate well at all levels both verbally and in writing to maintain records for files and on computer.
To understand confidentiality and be conversant with the Care Standards Act.
To be able to work on own initiative and perform any task required within home.
a variety of competitive benefits, including a generous holiday allowance, contributory pension scheme, excellent career development incl. formal training , free parking, well-supported environment
Experts2care are a specialist recruitment company focusing on Nursing, Management and Senior Management roles within Care Homes and Private Hospitals. We aim to cut out the hassle and be your search and selection PA, cherry picking the best jobs and approaching clients to explore possibilities. With over twenty years of specialist recruitment experience we are the experts in finding you that ideal opportunity by working as your job search partner, often on an exclusive basis.
To submit an application please click on the 'Apply' button below or contact Sophie on Apply Now >> for a friendly and confidential chat.
Candidates must be authorised to work in the EEC.