The Enterprise Architect
is a new Senior Manager level role within the Architecture function with the responsibility of translating the business strategy into technology, systems, and architecture that satisfy the required business outcomes. The Enterprise Architect must understand and be able to map A&O business processes to ensure they are satisfied by an optimal application, technical, and data system portfolio. Managing these portfolio views and aligning this with business processes, roadmaps, and priorities. Informing and reviewing product roadmaps so that they are aligned and optimal. Linking the application and data view to the enterprise asset catalog to provide a holistic view across A&O enterprise. Setting direction and working with solution architects to deliver a rationalized architecture. The Enterprise architect must have an overarching view and appreciation of all of the organization's systems, capabilities, and potential. The role must observe and document current trends in technology architecture and educate the technology department about new approaches and best practices. The Enterprise Architect will sometimes deal with technical questions such as an app’s life cycle and the technological environments they reside in, however, the Enterprise Architect will mostly delegate specific tasks to the Solution Architects. The Enterprise Architect should not be focused on fine details, rather control the abstract view of IT structures and processes and never lose sight of the bigger business picture. The Enterprise Architect will be responsible for the vision, communication, and evolution of A&O enterprise architecture. Ensuring that IT strategy is aligned with A&O mission
Allen & Overy are currently in the process of reviewing and modernising its applications and platform to reflect the need for a more agile service that supports greater use of public and private cloud services. This role will be integral to the delivery of this processRole and responsibilities
- Create business architecture models, including business processes, application and technology portfolio views, business process mapping, conventions, technology reference models, guidelines, business capability models, roadmaps, landscape diagrams, solution overviews and solution designs that reflect A&O strategy and goals
- Locate ways to reduce costs in IT and business leadership and provides business architecture and systems processing guidance
- Creates an IT vision, roadmap and multi-year plan that satisfies A&O business objectives
- Works with the relevant stakeholders, to define the multi-year IT strategy as input to the project portfolio.
- Provides technical thought leadership to ensure we develop and procure the right technologies and services through proactively developing the IT technology roadmaps.
- Works closely with InfoSec provides security assurance to the wider architect community.
- Manages and maintain a proactive backlog of work, regulating change for IT capabilities.
- Defines Architectural standards and ensure alignment through the ARB design review process.
- Works with the relevant stakeholders, teams and individuals to ensure that fit-for-purpose solutions are developed in alignment with Architectural standards and principles and are implemented to design specifications.
- Works with relevant stakeholders and engineering teams, develop and maintain re-usable solution building blocks and patterns.
- Provides direction and guidance on projects ensuring all strategy, architecture, standards, patterns, principles and roadmap outputs are published.
- Act, where necessary, as the Technical Lead role on IT projects. This will include:
- Willingness to get into the detail of projects and set direction around technology and products.
- Creation of high-level solution designs that address the needs of key stakeholders from the business, solution delivery and operational areas.
- Provide analysis for technical alternatives, and risk analysis for proposed systems.
- When on boarding new technology, ensuring the relevant teams are aware and understand the implications and impact to current standards and working practices.
- Assist in the transition of products and services into operational use.
- Challenges the status quo, identifies opportunities in existing and emerging technologies and takes ownership to improve the IT service.
- Commercial acumen, including an understanding of the overall picture of IT service costs and how IT adds value to the business.
- Adept at building business cases and selling these to senior stakeholders.
- An enthusiasm and passion for technology. The ability to promote technology within the firm, using business friendly language, and seek out opportunities with tangible business benefits.
- High level of personal credibility, impact and influence with proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at all levels of the business.
- Having an open mind to consider all alternatives when making technology decisions.
- Develops excellent working relationships across the breadth of the IT function and effectively shares knowledge between individuals and teams to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the department.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to present at a level suitable to the audience.
- Experience of working in a global environment across international locations with an appreciation of the difficulties this may bring.
- Extensive knowledge of Enterprise Architecture, most probably with a track record of delivery using TOGAF.
- Design level knowledge of defining and deploying solutions for on premise, private, public and hybrid cloud and knowing when to leverage each.
- Strong working knowledge of current security standards and protocols.
- Understand modern security requirements
- Knowledge of cloud computing architecture, technical design and implementations, including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) delivery models.
- Knowledge and experience of working in continuous delivery environments and an understanding of the tool stack that supports this operating model.
- Knowledge of deploying solutions via Infrastructure as Code (IaC).
- Understanding of current IT market and trends, their maturity level and how they benefit the organisation.
- A history of working within medium to large globally diverse organisations that reflects the seniority of this role.
- Extensive experience of Enterprise Architecture.
- Proven experience
- of selecting, designing and delivering solutions within a global Enterprise.
- of developing comprehensive Enterprise Architecture documentation, including; principles, technology reference models, guidelines, business capability models, roadmaps, landscape diagrams, solution overviews and solution designs.
- working with Infrastructure as Code and continuous delivery technologies and processes.
- technically leading large projects as part of a team with the confidence and knowledge to influence technical direction.
- creating and delivering strategies and technology roadmaps.
- of communicating to senior stakeholders and interpreting complex technical solutions through the use of simple language.
- of working within a regulated industry and an understanding of the compliance and security challenges.
- working within an agile delivery methodology would be beneficial.
- Agile Methodology
- Business Architecture
- Business Planning
- Business Process Mapping
- Business Processes