Environment, Health and Safety Specialist
UK - Slough
At Lonza, we invest in great people. We encourage our employees to challenge themselves and we offer an environment that fosters creativity and success. Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, we operate production, R&D, and business sites around the world, including Europe, North America, and Asia.
We strive to be the leading supplier using science and technology to improve the quality of life.
We work with passion, using advanced technologies, to transform life science into new possibilities for our customers.
Do you want to help us as we shape the future of this great organization?
Job Description Summary
To provide advice to Site Management Teams and staff to ensure compliance with Lonza EHS requirements and all relevant national and international EHS legislation and best practice; with particular focus on laboratory EHS, Biosafety and Occupational Hygiene.
To provide expert EHS knowledge and skills in order to develop, influence and promote a positive EHS culture at the Slough and Cambridge Sites.
As the Biological Safety Officer to provide advice to Site management and staff to ensure that the company undertakes the measures required to comply with its statutory duties in the management and control of biological agents (BAs) and genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities (EHS):
* Provide competent, professional and independent EHS advice to employees and managers with particular focus on laboratory EHS and Occupational hygiene.
* Monitor and interpret EHS legislation, best practice and Lonza requirements. Develop procedures accordingly and implement by close collaboration with Site Management Teams, employees and contractors.
* Plan, implement, monitor and review the protective and preventative measures identified as necessary to ensure EHS compliance and to minimise operational losses, occupational health problems, accidents and injuries.
* Participate and lead EHS risk assessments for new operations, equipment and process changes. Work to resolve all EHS concerns
* Provide advice and support, where required, to achieve the Site objectives and Site EHS improvement programmes. Project manage EHS programmes as required.
* Contribute as a member of the Site emergency management system providing specialised support to the effective management and investigation of incidents.
* Attend and pro-actively contribute to Local EHS Work Groups & Site EHS Council meetings.
* Conduct EHS inspections and audits as required, including internal inspections, Corporate, Regulatory and customer audits.
* Pro-actively manage the incident reporting system, Intelex, and follow up accordingly on actions raised.
* Prepare, deliver & co-ordinate EHS training
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities (Biosafety):
* Provide guidance to ensure that the company undertakes the measures required to comply with its statutory duties in the management and control of biological agents (BAs) and genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
* Manage and administer the site authorisation and risk assessment process for BAs and GMOs, including chairing the Biosafety Council
* Provide technical advice and guidance to ensure that the appropriate containment control measures are implemented, maintained, inspected and tested as appropriate.
* Develop and implement procedures relating to BAs and GMOs - including wastes - to ensure safe transport, storage, use, handling and exposure control.
Support other Lonza sites as required
* Proven track record of providing strong EHS related support.
* Occupational hygiene experience/qualification preferred (BOHS modules W210, W505, W506 and W507).
* Biopharmaceutical experience with upstream/downstream knowledge preferred. (other environments considered)
* Qualified to NEBOSH Certificate or equivalent
* Biosafety Practitioner Level 1 (or 2) preferred
* Graduate with several years of experience of scientific work including molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, toxicology
We welcome applications from candidates seeking flexible working (including Part Time and Job Share). Please state your requirements on your application.
Lonza understands the uncertainty that may be felt by EU candidates. Lonza will happily provide assistance to successful EU candidates to gain settled or pre-settled status in the UK.
Lonza. The place to Go, Stay and Grow.