Operations Manager - Distribution Centre
Purpose of the role:
To ensure the safe, effective, and efficient running of depot operations, lead and drive the delivery service from the nominated Distribution Centre providing an excellent customer, colleague and stakeholder experience at all times. To support and assist the wider depot management team in achieving and exceeding all depot KPI’s, targets and objectives.
• Drive a performance management culture through the Distribution Centre encouraging best practice leadership, motivating and inspiring the team to achieve the best results.
• Act as a Champion for the Company Values ensuring they are embedded effectively into the Operation.
• Own the Customer Service aspects for delivery from the Distribution Centre, meeting all Customer Satisfaction targets and scores.
• Ensure a full, clean, and tidy depot at all times with full stock management and availability.
• Ensure on time and full deliveries.
• Reduce order returns by driving accurate order delivery via Team Leaders/Pick Teams
• Manage and adhere to the service budget within the Distribution Centre.
• Ensure accurate and efficient picking on daily basis and short picks are checked and authorised before orders are confirmed.
• Ensure deliveries are completed within window times agreed for operational sites.
• Ensure required activities and records related to Vehicle Inspections, MOT’s, Tachographs, infringement levels, refrigeration units are maintained effectively.
• Manage KPI delivery in relation to Warehouse Productivity / Attendance / Cost Ratio/Vehicle utilisation.
• Manage Transport Compliance / Accident Management / Cost & Productivity Ratios.
• Achieve all company targets, objectives and KPI’s in order to run a profitable business.
• Act as an Ambassador for the brand, build customer relationships and grow market share.
• Build effective working relationships and communicate effectively with Head Office teams, internal and external stakeholders, and customers.
• Ensure all company policies and procedures are effectively implemented and embedded.
• Ensure Health & Safety Policy and Legislation is cascaded effectively and is adhered to rigidly within the Distribution Centre.
• Deputise in the absence of the General Manager ensuring the consistent smooth running of Depot operations.
• Drive productivity via regular presence on the shop floor coaching Team Leaders on best practice methods and behaviours.
• Carry out robust resource planning to ensure the right level of resource is in place at the right times to ensure excellent customer service levels are achieved and cover is provided for sickness, annual leave, training etc.
• Ensure effective plans are in place regarding the supply of temporary workers.
• Manage all people management issues such as disciplines and grievances professionally, seeking out the correct level of Head Office support and guidance if required.
• Review and analyse data gleaned from the suite of morning reports to identify trends, blockers, and challenges, creating workable solutions that will drive operational efficiencies.
• Drive the Customer Satisfaction agenda, setting the standards for a great customer journey.
• Build high performing teams ensuring clear direction and objective setting to team members, providing opportunities for personal development through coaching and on-going training.
• Develop a positive and united team culture, allowing autonomy and ownership of role responsibilities, open and honest two-way communication, and a supportive and professional leadership style.
• Work collaboratively with team leaders in relation to the effective allocation of team member duties.
• Coordinate the balance of activities within the Distribution Centre including Stock Management, Replenishment, Picking, Marshalling and Loading.
• Support availability through daily activity scheduling.
• Ensure the management of the Drivers is in line with legislation and industry guidelines.
• Monitor and ensure delivery against the site Operational budget.
• Ensure there are effective measures in please at sites regarding general security and loss prevention.
• Work collaboratively with team leaders to exceed and achieve all depot KPI’s and objectives.
• Key holder responsibilities.
Key Skills and Behaviours
Demonstrable experience gained within a retail / wholesale environment.
Exceptional knowledge of product areas
A confident decision maker with the ability to effectively follow through and execute decisions made.
Highly organised and exceptional planning skills with the ability to manage and prioritise various tasks.
Broad and relevant experience of different logistics operations
Ideally have transport operational experience also
Business training through a recognised route
Supply Chain training through a recognised route
Significant experience in operational measurement and improvement delivery
Experience in network planning and facility design
Strong knowledge of transport operating practices and legal compliance requirements
Able to map and improve the end-to-end links in a modern Supply Chain structure
Management experience gained in a fast-moving Supply or Logistics environment
Ability to raise, validate and articulate business practices to a wide and varied audience.
Strategic problem-solving ability, capable of re-working situations if plans change with minimal impact to the business.
Significant experience of delivering both excellent Customer Service and Customer Satisfaction results
Commercially focused and committed to achieving targets.
A champion of change management, adaptable to embrace and drive change.
Excellent and inspiring leadership and team building skills.
Empathetic and empowering leadership style with the ability to give clear direction.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Excellent listening skills
- Active Listening
- Business Ethics
- Change Management
- Confident And Emotionally Stable