We are looking for an experienced Practitioner Planning Engineer to work on our EDF Project Controls Framework at Barnwood,Gloucester. As a Practitioner Planning Engineer you will be responsible for providing planning support working with Project Managers to develop and manage schedules to incorporate risk, change, resource requirements and cost.
Costain supports EDF Energy Generation to maximise the lifespan of its eight UK nuclear power stations and prepare for defuelling and decommissioning. Costain's role is to provide project controls and commercial managed services to portfolios and programmes of work across EDF's UK nuclear power stations. As part of this work Costain will develop people capability in core project control skills and provide specialist support to EDF's Central Technical Organisation to improve project performance and deliver cost efficiencies.
• Develop, control, monitor, analyse and report on schedule related aspects for designated projects
• Establish and monitor a cost and resource loaded, logic linked, baseline plan for the project in accordance with EDF processes
• Capture project budgetary costs and resources in the plan to determine time phasing of expenditure and the total project budget
• Establish robust Work Breakdown and Project Control Structures in terms of project scope
• Work with the Project Manager and Project team to establish the project activities, cost and durations and ensure that these reflect project scope, constraints and commitments. Challenge as necessary to ensure compatibility and compliance
• Interface with other departments regarding the project's activities which may have an impact and ensure correctly captured
• Facilitate acceptance of and ensure that the project plan embraces the full project work scope, is fit for purpose and is achievable
• Ensure that any necessary planning interface with the site Work Management Process (WMP) is established
• Maintain and control project baselines in line with company procedures and guidance
• Ensure the reasons for, and the factors influencing each change to the project's baseline plan plus the implications of such change are understood and communicated with the wider project team.
• Monitor, control and analyse the project programme and cost information using Earned Value methodologies
• Challenging schedule and cost variances against the baseline plan
• Integrate 3rd party schedules and data into the overall project plan
• Regular interfacing and integration with the project controls team to maintain an aligned financial position with the Project Plan
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Breadth of experience across whole project lifecycle (Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Installation/Commissioning processes) preferably in a highly regulated environment
• Primavera (P6) trained and experienced
• Experience in building cost and resource loaded plans
• High level of numeracy and excellent analytical skills
• The ability to reconcile cost information as it applies to the programme of work
• Proficient in the interpretation of estimating, scheduling, programming and risk tools
• Proficient in the use of Earned Value Analysis
• Relevant experience in Project Controls and/or Project Delivery, preferably in a highly regulated environment
Evidence of strong engineering background, ideally within a safety/regulated environment
• Minimum of HNC/HND ideally in an Engineering discipline or relevant experience
Costain helps to improve people's lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK's energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK's leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: [ Email address blocked ]
We welcome all applicants regardless of age, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, socioeconomic background and physical or neurological disabilities.
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working. Such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. In return, we will explore what is possible.
To find out more about our Inclusion strategy, please visit our ED&I page:
[ Link removed ] />
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we'll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK.
For some of our roles, you may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to the Disability Confident website:
[ Link removed ]
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Earned Value Management