Plasma Diagnostician / Spectroscopy Technician
Plasma Diagnostician / Spectroscopy Technician
¦ Job ID : 96444220
Plasma Diagnostician / Spectroscopy Technician job in Abingdon - Oxfordshire, South East, UK / United Kingdom
Job Type : Permanent Search for Other Jobs
Email Job to a Friend
View Jobs for this Advertiser
Find Similar Jobs
Job Location : Abingdon (OX13) - Oxfordshire, South East, United Kingdom
Job Salary : market rate
Main Industry : Engineering
Other Industries and Skills : Electrical & Electronics engineering, Energy , Offshore
Advertiser : Bluetownonline Ltd
Posted On : 18/10/2019
Job Description : Job Title: Plasma Diagnostician
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Salary Range: Competitive, depending on experience
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent (37.5 hours per week)
The Company has unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology could revolutionise the world's energy production - it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e.g. long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions). They aim to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies - spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company's innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click, Reuters internet news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum in 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
The role is the management of the design, research and development (R&D) and procurement activities of spectroscopy diagnostics and experimental data analysis. To assist in the design and maintenance of other plasma diagnostic systems. Design, operation and exploration of spectroscopy instrumentation operating in a wide range of wavelengths (near-IR, visible, UV, VUV- X-ray).
The candidate will assure that the spectroscopy design is completed to meet the functional, safety and quality requirements as specified by the project.
* Take responsibility for R&D, specification, procurement, installation, commissioning and maintenance of assigned diagnostic systems
* Manages the contracts and resources allocated to spectroscopic diagnostics
* Assists in the design and interfaces to data acquisition and other systems
* Works in close collaboration with the design office through the design phase, leading jointly to procurement and installation
* May be requested to be part of any of the project team dealing with the above activities and perform other duties upon management request
* Interacts regularly with others in the Diagnostics areas
* Acts as the primary point of contact for plasma spectroscopy;
* Takes responsibility for regular calibration and updates of the calibration data for other Systems such as Data Acquisition and Plasma Control Systems
* Performs analysis of the experimental data delivered by the above diagnostics
* At least a masters/PhD degree in Physics
* Knowledge of spectroscopy is essential
* Experience in design and development in experimental physics
* Experience in maintenance and calibration of spectroscopy instrumentation
* Experience in analysis of plasma diagnostics data
* Ability to work on own initiative or in a team and multi-cultural environment
* Excellent planning and organisational skills
* Programming in MatLab, LabVIEW C++ or similar
* Experience in electronics design would be advantageous
* Experience in high power experimental systems would be advantageous
* Experience in fusion related technologies such as Ultra High Vacuum (UHV) would be advantageous
* Good communication skills
* MS office (word, excel, powerpoint, outlook)
* 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
* Company pension scheme
* Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years' service
* Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
* Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Spectroscopy Technician, Plasma Diagnostician, Plasma Monitoring Technician, Spectroscopy Designer, Physics Graduate, Nuclear Physicist, Spectroscopy Engineer, Plasma Monitoring Engineer, Spectroscopy Analyst may also be considered for this role.
Important : Never supply bank or financial information to job advertisers. If you see a vacancy and bank details or money are requested, email .
If you are encountering any technical problems in applying for this job, please click here.