Lead the Process Development group in the preclinical development of novel medicines comprising a consortium of live bacteria delivered orally to the intestinal tract. The successful candidate will actively contribute to the Company’s development programmes in ulcerative colitis and immune-oncology. The successful candidate will be responsible for in-house fermentation process development for multiple anaerobic gut bacteria that comprise the medicine, characterising and optimising their growth and providing support for upstream and downstream method development and optimisation.
* Leading a small team to develop fermentation processes to produce live bacterial therapeutics comprising multiple bacterial strains
* Performing anaerobic fermentation of bacteria from deep well blocks to small fermenters
* Developing media screens and optimising media for growth of metabolically diverse bacteria
* Co-ordinating outsourced lyophilisation development studies and developing an in-house capability for lyophilisation development.
* Working closely with the assay development team to develop suitable assays to assess microbial cell quality
* Maintaining an awareness of latest technologies and equipment for incorporation into company labs
* Ensuring detailed records of experiments are kept within the team, suitable for supporting regulatory filings.
* Supporting process transfer to CDMOs
Essential requirements for this post include:
* PhD in relevant discipline eg: Microbiology or Bioprocess Engineering with focus on fermentation.
* In-depth bacteriology knowledge
* Post-doctoral experience in a bioprocess development environment utilising fermentation technology
* Experience of optimising manufacturing processes and methodologies.
* Strong leadership skills (Preferable experience of leading small teams).
* Demonstrable initiative
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Desirable requirements for this post include:
* Experience of using Design of Experiments (DOE)
* Previous experience working with a microbiome therapeutic or probiotic development company
* Expertise in handling and culturing anaerobic bacteria
* Experience of developing processes for subsequent application in GMP manufacture
* Experience of process technology transfer to external companies
* Experience of lyophilisation process development