Costain helps to improve people's lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK's energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
Costain supports Energy Nuclear Generation to maximise the lifespan of its eight UK nuclear power stations. Costain's role is to provide project controls and commercial managed services to portfolios and programmes of work across all of EDF's eight UK nuclear power stations. As part of this work Costain will develop people capability in core project control skills and provide specialist support to EDFs Central Technical Organisation to improve project performance and deliver cost efficiencies.
The Project Engineer (Construction) will support either Project Manager or Construction Manager in managing allocated work from assignment to close out covering all duties related to work delivery as requested by the Project Manager or Construction Manager in order to ensure that the work is conducted in a safe, timely and effective manner to its conclusion.
The project engineer role may vary depending on the specific assignment undertaken but would typically involve the activities below:
- Identifying, implementing and complying with applicable safety, environmental and quality standards, company procedures and policies and other relevant legislative and regulatory requirements
- Support the Project Manager with day to day activities required to deliver work in line with the project plan including safety, quality, schedule and cost objectives
- Facilitate and chair meetings as required by the Project Manager
- Prepare and maintain engineering documentation including Quality Plans and other documents as required
- Ensure production of technical specifications and support the process of contractor selection and contract placement
- Review technical documentation including contractor's documents and drawings when authorised to do so
- Ensure technical queries are managed in accordance with process and procedures
- Carry out technical appraisals of project options. Perform feasibility studies, site surveys and liaison with designers and station engineering staff as required
- Prepare Engineering Changes and manage the preparation of supporting and affected documents
- Prepare commissioning documents and act as test team leader where appropriate
- Manage the delivery of assigned engineering tasks ensuring that the work is conducted in a safe, timely and effective manner in line with the relevant procedures
- Completes engineering projects by organizing and controlling project elements
- Develops project objectives by reviewing project proposals and plans and conferring with management
- Determines project responsibilities by identifying project phases and elements, assigning personnel to phases and elements, and reviewing bids from contractors
- Determines project specifications by studying product design, customer requirements, and performance standards
- Completes technical studies and prepares cost estimates
- Confirms product performance by designing and conducting tests
- Determines project schedule by studying project plan and specifications, calculating time requirements, and sequencing project elements
- Maintains project schedule by monitoring project progress, coordinating activities, and resolving problems
- Controls project plan by reviewing design, specifications, and plan, scheduling changes, and recommending actions
- Controls project costs by approving expenditures and administering contractor contracts
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by enforcing procedures, rules, and regulations
- Suitable relevant project experience within engineering/construction projects, including the application of project management processes
- Suitable relevant technical experience including the preparation of technical documentation, the review and approval of technical proposals and procedures, experience of construction, testing and commissioning activities
- Experience of Engineering in a project and operational environment
- HND or Degree in a relevant engineering discipline
- 5-8 years' of experience as a project coordinator, project engineer, or project manager
- Ideally strong experience in similar industry
- Familiarity with rules, regulations, best practices and performance standards
Costain helps to improve people's lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK's energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK's leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: [ Email address blocked ]
We welcome all applicants regardless of age, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, socioeconomic background and physical or neurological disabilities.
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working. Such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. In return, we will explore what is possible.
To find out more about our Inclusion strategy, please visit our ED&I page:
[ Link removed ] />
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we'll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK.
For some of our roles, you may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people.
For more details please go to the Disability Confident website:
[ Link removed ]
- Feasibility Studies
- Industrial Control Commissioning
- Nuclear Power
- People Capability Maturity Model