Team Leader: Agriculture & Private Sector Development
Terms of Reference
WHO WE ARE
Wasafiri is a fast growing, values-led consultancy business, committed to delivering change
in Africa. Established in 2010 by a small group of British, Zambian and Rwandan consultants,
we are driven by the opportunity to contribute to the continent's future.
We work with companies, governments and communities operating in complex systems and
markets to help deliver change across a range of key issues - including agricultural
development, conflict and extremism, climate change and institutional development.
PAGE 1 OF 2 TEAM LEADER: AGRICULTURE AND PSD
We specialise in facilitating and supporting multi-stakeholder processes, because we believe
that no single person or organisation has the power, resources or ideas to drive change alone.
Therefore to transform the political, economic or social systems that enable or constrain them,
companies, governments, communities and other partners must act together.
We operate from bases in the UK, Rwanda and Kenya and are currently delivering work in
over 10 countries, with clients from across the public and private sectors.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are recruiting for a unique individual, someone who is able to take on leadership for
Wasafiri's agriculture & private sector development portfolio. We are looking for someone
with a strong track record in either agricultural development or private sector development;
someone able to act as a lead consultant to clients, and also with the entrepreneurial flair to
seek out and develop new opportunities and the experience and relationship skills to manage
teams of consultants on larger projects. Above all else we seek someone with a strong
commitment to delivering change in Africa; an enterprising spirit; an ability to build and
execute a commercial strategy and with outstanding people management skills.
Wasafiri has a strong portfolio of work within African agriculture, with a focus on creating
inclusive growth, particularly through supporting private sector engagement and investment.
Through work on CAADP, Wasafiri is closely connected to the institutions and leaders driving
Africa's agricultural transformation at a continental level. We are also involved in forging
cross-sector collaboration in many pioneering countries such as Kenya, Ethiopia, Ghana,
Rwanda and Malawi - whether through forging value chain partnerships, supporting catalytic
reforms of the enabling environment, or coordinating technical assistance to boost sectoral
capacity. Wasafiri has played an instrumental role in Grow Africa, a partnership platform
established by the World Economic Forum and Africa Union to accelerate inclusive and
responsible investment in to African agriculture; and which has supported over $1.8 billon of
private investment, reaching over 8 million smallholders.
Essential Skills & Experience:
* A strong professional track record in agriculture and / or private sector development
* Experience working across multiple countries in Africa and an understanding of the key
actors driving agricultural development (e.g. AUC, NEPAD, International Agribusinesses,
Donors, Farmer Organisations, Ministries of Agriculture, AGRA, AfDB.)
* An outstanding record of delivering change, ideally as a consultant.
* Experience working with private sector actors
* Experience developing and managing the delivery of programmes
* Excellent team and people management skills and experience
* Excellent communication (written and oral) and representation skills
As our Portfolio Manager for Agriculture you will:
* Be values driven with a demonstrable commitment to Africa's growth
* Able to develop Wasafiri's strategy and practice in agriculture and or private sector
* Have strong commercial acumen and experience in business development, and be
motivated to expand our portfolio of work in agriculture and private sector development
* Excited about growing a business through which to have a positive impact
* Have an entrepreneurial approach and desire to be in a start-up environment
* We anticipate a balance of 60% team leader / consultant working directly on client
engagements and 40% portfolio manager.
* The role is full-time based in Nairobi. Wasafiri also has offices in Kigali, Rwanda and
PAGE 2 OF 2 TEAM LEADER: AGRICULTURE AND PSD Brighton, UK, which could offer alternative bases for the right candidate. Wasafiri also
supports flexible working, and a part-time arrangement could be possible.
* Regular travel across the region will be required.
* Permanent position, with 3-month trial period and then annual review process to ensure
performance and remuneration is acceptable to both parties.
Compensation & Benefits
The position comes with an attractive compensation package based on skills and experience.
Further details available for second round applicants.
Submission: To apply for the post, please send your CV and covering letter to Wasafiri's
Commercial & People Director Kate Simpson Apply Now >>
references, although these will only be contacted with permission. Feel free to get in touch if
you require more information about the role.
Closing date for applications: Friday 17th June, 2016. We will be reviewing applications as
they arrive and will appoint once a suitable candidate is identified. Late applications may be
Delivering change in Africa
Africa: Kigali City Tower, 14th Floor, Plot no. 6418, Avenue du Commerce, P.O.Box 6428,
Europe : The Dock, Wilbury Villas, Brighton, BN3 6AH, United Kingdom
Telephone : +44(0)Apply Now >>
Email : Apply Now >>
Web : Apply Now >>