Policy only applies to personal information gathered by CareerBuilder UK
Limited (“CareerBuilder UK”) in connection with the careerbuilder.co.uk web
site (the "Site"), and does not apply to any other CareerBuilder
notice on the homepage alerting you to the change. By using the Site you are
consenting to us collecting, using and disclosing your personal information in
We collect personal information so that we can provide the services offered by the Site in an efficient and effective manner. The type of information that we may collect in order to do this includes: your name, your contact details, your date of birth, your gender, your nationality, details of your education and working career, details of your personal interests, details of the debit cards and credit cards that you use for payments, details of your use of our Site, and your IP address.
Personal Information – how we collect it
We collect personal information in the following ways:
1. by asking you to provide information about yourself;
2. by obtaining certain information about you through the use of data collection devices, such as web beacons and cookies;
Personal Information – what we do with it
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to inform you of job postings that may be of interest
- to provide you with private and secure areas to post and modify your submissions to our Site (such as job requests and CVs)
- to send you newsletters and other information related to your interests (where you have agreed to this)
- to notify you of new services offered by our Site (where you have agreed to this)
- to notify you of any changes to your use of our Site
- to analyse the use of our Site in order to improve its content, layout and services
Your personal information will also be made available to the following persons:
- where you have expressly permitted us to do so in setting or amending your account profile then your personal information will be made available to other users of our Site (please note that CareerBuilder UK is not responsible for what other users subsequently do with your information. Further, given that some users may be employers or recruiting agencies that are based outside the European Economic Area, you should bear in mind that such users may not be subject to type of data protection legislation that applies within the EEA)
- where we are taking payment from you for goods or services then we will share with reputable financial institutions and credit reference agencies such of your personal information as is necessary in order to process that payment and prevent the fraudulent use of credit cards etc. (please note that CareerBuilder UK is not responsible for what these institutions and agencies may subsequently do with your information)
- where we reasonably determine that it is necessary in order to comply with the law, to cooperate with or seek assistance from law enforcement, to prevent a crime or protect national security, or to protect the interests or safety of CareerBuilder UK or other users of the Site then we may disclose your information to such persons as are relevant for those purposes
- where CareerBuilder UK or its assets are subject to a transfer of ownership then your personal information may be transferred to the new owner, but your personal information will continue to be held on the same terms as before
Personal Information – what we do not do with it
We do not make your personal information available to other persons so that they may contact you for marketing or promotional purposes.
Correction and Removal
At any time you may access any of your personal information held by CareerBuilder UK (i.e. not just the information held as part of your account profile) in order to review, correct or update such information. In order to do so, please [click here]. Please note that we may need you to verify your identity before we process your request.
Further, you may at any time request that we permanently delete all your personal information held by CareerBuilder UK. In order to do so, please [click here]. Following such a request, we will cease to use or make available your personal information (other than where required by law). We will also delete your personal information from our systems with the exception of information that is contained in emails, correspondence and other documents that we may retain as evidence of the terms of the legal relationship between us and you. Please note that we may need you to verify your identity before we process your request.
Summary of your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998
The Site is operated by CareerBuilder UK. For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, this company is the “data controller” in respect of personal information that we obtain in connection with the Site. CareerBuilder UK hosts and stores your personal information on servers situated in the United States. These servers are owned and maintained by our parent company CareerBuilder, LLC.
CareerBuilder, LLC is a Delaware limited liability company with its principal place of business located at 200 North LaSalle St., Suite 1100, Chicago, IL 60601, USA.
The website of the Information Commissioner’s Office provides information and assistance with regard to your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998 and related legislation (http://www.ico.gov.uk/). Briefly summarised, your principal rights are:
- the right to find out what information is held about you on computer and in some paper records
- the right to take steps to prevent your personal information being processed if the processing is likely to cause you to suffer substantial damage or substantial distress where this is unjustified
- the right to require that your personal data is not used to market to you products, services or ideas
- the right to prevent decisions being taken about you which are based solely on automatic processing
- the right to have inaccurate information about you amended or destroyed
- the right to claim compensation where you have suffered damage and distress as a result of breaches of the Data Protection Act
Making Changes to Your Information or Preferences
To review, correct, update, change or delete your CareerBuilder UK account profile information or CV at any time, log into your My CareerBuilder account, go to your Account Profile or CV, review your account information or CV and, if you wish, edit or delete it with the options provided (please note that CareerBuilder UK may retain records of your previous account profiles, which will not be accessible by third parties, for audit and recordkeeping purposes). If, at the time of registration or on some other occasion, you have opted into receiving commercial emails or other communications from CareerBuilder UK, you can use this method to opt out of such receipt. Conversely, if you should change your mind and decide that you would prefer to receive such emails from CareerBuilder UK, you can use this method to opt into receipt.
CareerBuilder UK web pages may contain electronic images known as web beacons (sometimes called single-pixel gifs) that allow us to count users who have visited those pages and to deliver co-branded services. Web beacons are not used to access your personally identifiable information on CareerBuilder UK and cannot be used by third parties; they are a technique we use to compile aggregated statistics about our web site usage.
Web beacons collect only a limited set of information including a cookie number, time and date of a page view, and a description of the page on which the web beacon resides.
Because web beacons are the same as any other content request included in the recipe page, you cannot opt out or refuse them. However, they can be rendered ineffective by either opting out of cookies or changing the cookie setup in your browser.
Security for your Personal
CareerBuilder UK has taken considerable steps to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorised access, use, alteration or disclosure. As part of this process, we have encrypted all account and password data. In addition, we employ encryption for secure credit card transactions. Although we have taken all reasonable steps, there is no such thing as infallible security. Thus, we cannot guarantee that your personal information will not be subject to unauthorised access.